Thursday 30 July 2009

5 tips to help master watercolours (watercolors)

So people ask me how do I start, what do I need, should I take lessons and other such questions about painting watercolours (watercolors). I am happy to sit down and give people some of my experience. Today I am going to extend that knowledge to you.

Keep it simple stupid

The simple truth is you don't have to go out and buy all the best equipment, as all you really need is some paints, paper, brushes, water and time. If you overcomplicate the mater you are just shooting yourself in the foot, choose a simple but inspiring scene to paint and just give it a good.

Start slow and relax

Even though painting should be a relaxing past time, many people find themselves getting frustrated when the learn to paint. Now in doing so you find you body getting stiff and your joints fixed, this is completely the opposite from what you want. What I do is not let it get to me, if that fails close your eyes take 2 or 3 deep breaths relaxing my arms and shoulders and clearing my mind. Then when I open my eyes I paint.

Painting is a journey

People send lots of time and money going off to the fare reaches of the planet (and beyond) to discover themselves. I believe the painting is one of the true self discovery pastimes.

Don't just site there get inspired

Ok so sitting in front of the telly might help some people get inspired to paint a master peace but for most people I can say that wont be the best method. Painting is a passionate activity, if you don't paint with some passion then you work will end up flat and lifeless. For this reason get yourself out and about see life, see love, see colour, see nature.

Why one is ok but two better

I paint alone and find some solace in it. But when I need to get inspired need to get revved up and excited about my next painting I look to others, to friends to family to the art community. Get out a talk to people share ideas, techniques.

My five top tips to get better results with watercolours

  • relax
  • have a drink (just the one!)
  • don’t be afraid to fail (embrace it, some of my favourite work came that way)
  • don’t be a perfectionist (you need to finish something)
  • enjoy yourself

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment